UFC 136 (Houston): Stacked Deck!
The UFC comes to Houston this October for what promises to be an unbelievable night of combat in the Octagon™. The card is STACKED with exciting match-ups and TWO championship bouts!
I say unbelievable because of MMA’s (no, not just UFC) issues with booking fights and then having to scramble to find replacements when fighters get injured.
Right now, this is the card:
• Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (for lightweight title)
• Champ Jose Aldo vs. Kenny Florian (for featherweight title)
• Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann
• Demian Maia vs. Jorge Santiago
• Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon
• Anthony Pettis vs. Jeremy Stephens
• Joey Beltran vs. Stipe Miocic
• Dave Herman vs. Mike Russow
• Nick Catone vs. Aaron Simpson
• Josh Grispi vs. Matt Grice
Incredible, right? I mean, any one of the first five (maybe six) bouts could headline a free event, but all of them on one night? Amazing, right?!?
It seems clear to me that the UFC is stacking the deck, so they can cope with one or two fights falling apart. And that’s a good thing for stability’s sake, but not so great if you were really looking forward to one of your favorite fighters, only to have their opponent bow out last-minute, leaving you stuck with facing an opponent you hadn’t trained for (lookin’ at you, Story) or worse yet, no fight at all (School’s out, Mr. Franklin).
So get excited, but don’t get too excited. October’s still a few months away, and as we’ve learned so well these past few weeks: anything can happen.